The reading for Module 11 introduces concepts essential for understanding the nature of opiates, opioids, and narcotics, as well as understanding the problem of opioid abuse and the “opioid epidemic” reported across the United States. This online coursebook includes content prepared by the book’s author, as well as several readings from the published literature.
Module 11 Reading Objectives
After engaging with the assigned reading materials and learning resources, you should be able to:
- Explain the similarities and differences between opiates, opioids, narcotics, heroin, and other substances in this category
- Explain features of the nation’s opioid epidemic;
- Identify the opioid substances commonly misused and their effects;
- Identify the role of tolerance in the overdose cycle;
- Explain basic principles of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome (NAS);
- Define key terms related to opioid misuse.