Module 12: Introduction
These readings introduce concepts essential for understanding over-the-counter and prescription drug misuse, pharmacotherapy as an option in treating substance use disorders, and the specific phase of treatment called detoxification (“detox”). In addition, we look into issues concerning inhalants and anabolic steroids. This online coursebook includes content prepared by the book’s author, as well as several readings from the published literature.
Module 12 Reading Objectives
After engaging with these reading materials and learning resources, you should be able to:
- Explain the roles of prescription and over-the-counter medications in the substance misuse arena;
- Identify basic principles of pharmacotherapy for treating substance use disorders;
- Identify goals and practices of detox protocols;
- Describe inhalant misuse and how this affects the mind and body;
- Describe anabolic steroid misuse and how this affects the mind and body;
- Define several key terms related to these topics.