Chapter 3 – Obesity
In this chapter, we will look at bias against people with obesity.
The purpose of this chapter is to provide an overview of bias and attitudinal disadvantages experienced by people with obesity.
By the end of this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Identify bias in the medical community against people with obesity in Interprofessional relationships.
- Identify bias against people with obesity in physician/patient relationships.
- Describe techniques to neutralize the effects of bias against people with obesity, or to ameliorate its severity.
- Describe the negative effects of bias and discrimination against people with obesity when it is not recognized or addressed, from the perspective of the interviewee.
Prior to reading the Obesity Chapter, you will be asked to take a self-test.
- Read the Preliminary Information and disclaimer, then click on “I wish to proceed” to take the test. Click to complete the Weight-IAT located in Harvard University’s Project Implicit website.
- After taking the test, read the next section to read perspectives on bias against people with obesity.
- You will then have the opportunity to complete a knowledge check to see if you gained a heightened understanding of bias against people who have obesity.
- Use this opportunity to learn more about conscious and unconscious bias in health care, to retake the IAT test(s) and to reflect on how you can apply what you’ve learned.