Modules 3 & 4: Biological Models of Addiction
The second reading for Module 3 & 4 comes from the 2014 National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) publication called Drugs, Brains, and Behavior: The Science of Addiction—the very publication that you started to read in Module 2. When you link to this material, read the following sections:
Part III (pp. 15-20): Drugs and the Brain
Part IV (pp. 21-24): Addiction and Health
(Don’t worry, you will read the rest of this publication in other modules!)
In this chapter you will read about:
- three systems in the brain that play a role in substance use disorders/addiction;
- the human brain at the level of neurons;
- how drugs affect these systems to produce their immediate psychotropic effects and long-term brain changes;
- how drugs affect health; and,
- key terms used in the field of substance use disorders and addiction.
Click here for a link to our Carmen course where you can locate the assigned pdf file(s) for this chapter. You will need to be logged into our Carmen course, select Modules 3&4, and proceed to the Coursework area. Under the Readings heading you will find a box with links to the readings for relevant coursebook chapters. Don’t forget to return here in your coursebook to complete the remaining chapters and interactive activities.