Module 2: Introducing Theories of Addiction
In the readings for Module 2 you learned about:
- current thinking concerning the nature of substance use disorders and the “chronic disease” framework;
- how we might distinguish substance use from substance misuse;
- the 11 diagnostic criteria in the DSM 5 used to identify substance use disorders and the categories of SUDs by type of substance;
- key epidemiology trends related specifically to substance use disorders;
- ways to classify theories about substance use disorders; and,
- key terms used in the field of substance use disorders and addiction.
In addition, this module presented you with opportunities to challenge your thinking about several substance use and misuse topics. You are now well prepared to review the list of key terms introduced in these readings.