Module 1: Introduction & Overview
The readings for Module 1 introduce many of the concepts and a bit of background on the theories and biological basis of addiction. This book includes a section developed by the author (chapters 1-3) and a published article.
Module 1 Reading Objectives
After engaging with all of these reading materials and learning resources, you should be able to:
- List the major categories of psychotropic substances which people tend to misuse or become addicted;
- Explain current statistics related to who engages in substance use and misuse, as well as who experiences substance use disorders;
- Recognize several key historical trends and policies addressing substance use and addiction;
- Define key terms related to substance use; and,
- Identify and resolve where stigmatizing language about substance use and addiction occurs.