Module 6: Social Context Theories
The reading for Module 6 introduces concepts essential for understanding many of the social context/social environment theories of addiction. This online textbook includes content prepared by the book’s author, as well as several readings from the published literature.
Module 6 Reading Objectives
After engaging with these reading materials and learning resources, you should be able to:
- Explain how the social context and physical environment influence substance use, misuse, and addiction patterns
- Identify the components of the social ecological model as they relate to substance use
- Describe how social norms influence substance use and misuse behavior
- Identify social structure theories and how they explain substance use and misuse (culture and subculture, labeling theory, deviance, theory, and the impact of “isms”)
- Explain additional social context factors and theoretical perspectives, including family, peers, workplace, neighborhoods, behavioral economics/behavioral choice theory, and stress and coping theory
- Define key terms related to the social context and physical environment factors related to substance use and substance use disorders.