Module 8: Alcohol
The readings for Module 8 introduce concepts essential for understanding the nature of alcohol, alcohol use, alcohol misuse, and alcohol use disorders. In this Module we are turning the corner from an overview of theories to looking at specific types of substances. We begin with alcohol and cover several other categories before the end of our course. This online coursebook includes several readings from published literature that are introduced and placed in context by the coursebook author.
Module 8 Reading Objectives
After engaging with these reading materials and learning resources, you should be able to:
- Recall information concerning alcohol as the most common substance involved in substance use disorders
- Explain the basic pharmacology of alcohol
- Identify short- and long-term effects of acute and chronic use and misuse of alcohol
- Identify factors and issues related to adolescent use and misuse of alcohol, including the emerging role of social media (Twitter)
- Explain the role of drinking contexts on consequences and behaviors such as the perpetration of sexual aggression
- Define several key terms related to alcohol and alcohol use disorders.