Module 10: Stimulant Substances
Module 10: Introduction
The reading for Module 10 introduces concepts essential for understanding the nature of various stimulant substances—amphetamines, “uppers,” methamphetamine, cocaine, tobacco, and caffeine. Yes, those last two are included in this module because of the nature of their effects on human behavior and the body. This online coursebook includes content prepared by the book’s author, as well as several readings from the published literature.
Module 10 Reading Objectives
After engaging with these reading materials and learning resources, you should be able to:
- Explain what stimulant substances are, how they work, and their effects on the brain, body, and behavior
- Identify epidemiological patterns in the use of various stimulant substances
- Identify specific characteristics of amphetamines, methamphetamine, cocaine, tobacco, and caffeine
- Discuss the potential risks associated with mixing alcohol and energy drinks
- Define several key terms related to substance use, substance misuse, and substance use disorders.