Module 5: Psychological Theories of Addiction
The reading for Module 5 introduces concepts essential for understanding many of the psychological theories of addiction, as well as how neurobiology and psychology intersect. This online textbook includes content prepared by the book’s author, as well as several readings from the published literature.
Module 5 Reading Objectives
After engaging with these reading materials and learning resources, you should be able to:
- Explain substance use disorders and addiction from multiple psychological theories;
- Identify the ways that neuropsychology and cognition intersect in explaining substance use disorders and the problem of cravings;
- Recognize how cognitive and learning theories are applied in cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) approaches;
- Explain the origins of our expectancies about substance use and how expectancies relate to decisions about use, misuse, and not using;
- Define several key terms related to substance use.