Chapter 11: Urinary system
Please familiarize yourself with these keywords before you start reading the chapter:
- Cortical labyrinth
- Histologically apparent substructure of the renal cortex composed of glomeruli and proximal tubules.
- Lobe (renal)
- An anatomical unit of the kidney composed of the medullary pyramid and the overlying cortex.
- Lobule (renal)
- An anatomical subunit of a renal lobe that is centered on a single medullary ray.
- Medullary rays
- Collections of renal tubules coursing from the renal cortex to the medulla and centered around a collecting duct.
- Ultrafiltration (renal)
- The process by fluid and molecules selectively pass across the glomerular filtration barrier (plasma -> urine). The ultrafiltrate is dependent on concentration gradients and hydrostatic blood pressure.